Using electrical equipments has become an indispensible part of our lives and imagining a life without these electrically run equipment sounds impossible. But have you ever pondered how do we get electricity from the power plants to our homes? We often take electronic devices for granted and plug them into the nearest outlet at our convenience. What we don’t realise is the beautiful journey electricity takes to reach the small plugs in our walls.
While travelling on the roads, if you have ever observed the electricity poles or large boxes near buildings, then you are very much familiar with some of the highly important aspect of the machinery that allows the delivery of energy to your home. These huge boxes or machines are called transformers, let’s dive in to the concept of transformers before we dig deeper into isolation transformer and its different purposes.
Transformers are an electric device that transfers electric current from one circuit to another circuit, mostly based on the principal of mutual induction. During this process of transferring electric current, the frequency remains constant while the voltage can be altered by increasing or decreasing it based on to the requirement.
This transfer of electricity within the transformer occurs with the use of two coils. One of the coils is referred to as the Primary Coil that is connected to a source of alternating current (AC). The other coil is referred to as the Secondary Coil that is connected to an external circuit. This entire setting of coils constitutes the basic structure of a transformer.
A transformer is basically a tool that is commonly used for transferring electrical energy from a one circuit to another by the means of inductively tied conductors. These conductors are made up of two or more ferromagnetic coils referred to as windings. When any electrical alterations are produced in the main winding, it creates a sporadic magnetic field inside the core. This leads to the reproduction of a fluctuation that includes- the fields on both the sides of the secondary winding. The entire process provides intermittent electrical energy within the secondary coils. There are numerous types of transformers that help in the transfer of electrical power. One of the most popular transformers is the isolation transformer that has different applications and purposes.
An isolation transformer is used for conveying electrical power that is coming from a source of AC power (alternating current) to another device, where the powered device gets isolated from the source of power for the safety of the equipment and the user. The isolation transformer can also be used to prevent the capacitance this enhances the primary- secondary winding linkage resulting in a higher frequency sound. A transformer generally could increase energy voltage level from one stage to the other with induction of electrical energy from one winding to the other. But the isolation transformer beautifully secludes the circuits of input and output from each other preventing them from being in contact. The Isolation transformer provides a galvanic isolation, which is utilized for protecting against the possibility of electric shock, suppressing the electrical noise in various receptive as well as sensitive gadgets and transmitting of power between two circuits.
This exclusively designed transformer is suitable to oppose the interference that is caused by the ground loops and helps in minimizing the coupling of the windings by the construction which minimizes capacitive coupling. The transformers mostly make use of unconnected bobbins on both coil windings. Although the windings are only wounded at the top of each other while insulation is in the middle. Most of the transformers have electrostatic shields in between the windings that are used for power supplies on sensitive equipment such as computers, laboratory gadgets, and other electronic equipment.
Generally, any type of transformer has the function of isolation, be it for sending power or for sending signals. But, the transformers whose ultimate purpose is to isolate the circuits are mostly referred to as isolation transformers. It is designed to have a built- in special insulation that is placed in between the primary and secondary windings. It is designed to capture a high voltage of a 1000 to 4000 volt range.
The main focus of the primary and secondary winding is on capacitive coupling. Apart from the capacitance of the primary and the secondary windings they also fasten the AC power from the primary towards the secondary winding.
Examples of some of the very small transformers that function like isolated transformers are four transformers in a minute, dual in-line chip package that are used to isolate high frequency and low voltage pulse circuits. They are very expensive in comparison to the conventional type of transformers.
Functions and Purposes of Isolation Transformer
The isolation transformer offers numerous functions and purposes, many of these purposes that are carried out by isolation transformers are majorly used in various different industries and business places. Read further for an insight into some of the outstanding roles of isolation transformers:
• The transformer can substitute isolation within different circuits. There are different industries and organizations that make use of different applications in isolating the circuits without actually increasing or decreasing the electric current. The isolation transformer can easily separate the primary and secondary windings with a 1:1 ratio.
• The transformer known for its safety function protects the people from the danger of electrocution from various electrical appliances. The customised power transformer facilitates the separation of the person from the power source for providing safety. The transformer unites a vessel to an electric power source but, it can be only done in a manner that the electric wirings will not directly get in contact with the power line.
• Isolation transformers, isolate the power supply to reduce noises and other kinds of sound. These transformers can prevent any sound or noise that gets created by connecting the signal of the audio amplifier with the speaker output circuit without creating any connection between the two, separating the amount of noise being produced by the audio amplifier to the piece of module from the amplifier.
• This helps the isolation of the radio frequency. This is an essential function for separating the amount generated by a radio frequency on the large devices of the circuit from the transmitter line. Therefore, the isolation transformer helps the connection of the amount being produced by the radio frequency amplifier to the transmitted signals towards the direction of the antenna.
• It facilitates DC (direct current) power isolation. The telephone lines often utilize digital information which needs the amplifiers at various intervals. Isolation transformers can carry out the separation of direct current components from the signal to control each of the amplifiers on the line. The isolation transformers can carry out the task for the input and output of each of the amplifiers.
A 1:1 ratio of the power transformer is mostly chosen as the isolation transformers when used in the electronics testing and servicing for safety purposes. Without this isolation created by the transformer, there might be a possible danger in touching any live part of the circuit. Therefore, the isolation transformers are an excellent necessity for most gadgets which require the use of electricity. When it comes to the safety of your devices and your loved ones, choosing the best quality of Isolation transformers is essential and who better than Servo Star with their massive range of products for providing you the best isolation transformer solutions and products.